Company: The Southern Company
Posted on: January 15, 2022
DISTRIBUTION PLASTIC LABORER
The primary function of this role is the installation of gas mains
and services. Duties include, and not limited to the following:
installing, fusing, purging and tapping of plastic and steel piping
and materials, installing meter sets, locating underground company
facilities, using small tools, hand drills and augering, hand
digging with spade or shovel, and working in a gaseous atmosphere.
May be required to perform tasks or duties associated with lower
Employee must obtain qualification in all Operator Qualification
tasks associated with the role.
Job Responsibilities & Accountabilities by Competency
Established Essential Duties:
* Installs gas mains and services per company policies and
* Adheres to all safety and work rules, company policies and
* Uses leak detection equipment, pipe locating equipment, fusion
equipment and tools.
* Represents the company in all interactions with customers,
government and regulatory officials in a courteous and professional
* Operates Company vehicles and equipment in accordance with
Company policies and procedures.
* Uses a variety of hand tools on a daily basis to complete work
* Fuses, installs, purges and taps pressurized plastic pipe.
* Taps and wraps pressurized steel main.
* Uses power tools to install brackets and to construct and install
* Uses shovels and spades for hand digging.
* Works on jobsites containing uneven surfaces and in varying
* Works in a gaseous atmosphere.
* Stocks and equips Company vehicles.
* Adheres to the Company's Safety Manual daily.
* Protects meter sets and piping from corrosion.
* Works independently and in a group.
* Available to work overtime as necessary to meet business
requirements and flexibility in working shifts as required.
* High School diploma or GED
* Valid Driver's License and pass Company driving tests
* Valid Class A CDL driver's license
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
Required: (within "x" time frame)
* Pass all required Operator Qualification certifications
* Obtain valid Class A CDL driver's license
* Meet DOT medical testing criteria
* Maintain compliance with Pipeline Safety Drug and Alcohol testing
* Demonstrate ability to pass Plastic electrofusion and/or heat
* Demonstrate skills in operating construction equipment
* Pass Company's Distribution Plastic Laborer certification
* Ability to smell odorant used to detect gas leaks
* Join IBEW local Union
* Possess good work ethic
* Be self-motivated, self starter
* Able to comprehend and follow direction
* Able to work in varying conditions (i.e., rough terrain,
* Able to operate basic equipment, machinery and simple tools
* Possess willingness to learn
* Demonstrate mechanical aptitude
* Possess knowledge of and background in construction
* Possess knowledge of and background in gas construction,
* Able to communicate well with co-workers and customers
* Possess experience operating large vehicles (over 20,000 lbs) and
* Possess experience working on construction sites
* Possess good hand/eye coordination
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements: Must be able to
physically walk, ascend and descend stairs and ladders, stoop,
bend, kneel, enter and exit tap holes, ditches, and/or excavations,
and lift and transport weight in excess of 50 pounds. Have a keen
sense of smell, hearing, vision and color identification. Required
to work in various weather conditions including extreme heat, cold,
This information describes the general nature and level of work
performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed
to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and
qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of
essential duties and responsibilities.
Job Field: Construction
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Northern Illinois-Crystal Lake
Operating Company: Nicor Gas
Other Locations: Illinois-Metro Chicago-Joliet, Illinois-Northern
Illinois-Rockford, Illinois-Metro Chicago-Crestwood
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Union Covered: Yes
300 West Terra Cotta (300CrystalLakeCODE)
300 West Terra Cotta
Crystal Lake, 60115
Joliet - 3000 East Cass St. (3000JolietCODE)
3000 East Cass St.
Rockford - 4651 Linden Rd. (4651RockfordCODE)
4651 Linden Rd.
Crestwood - 4829 West 135th St. (4829CrestwoodCODE)
4829 West 135th St.
Req ID: GAS2003871
Keywords: The Southern Company, Joliet , Laborer,Distribution Plastic, Professions , Joliet, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!