DISPATCHER - GRUNDY COUNTY TRANSIT SYSTEM
Company: Grundy County
Posted on: November 25, 2022
*County of Grundy - Job Posting *
*Grundy Transit System*
Date of Posting: November 17, 2022
Applications Accepted Until: Posted Until Filled
Job Title: GTS Dispatcher
Employee Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Salary Range: $20/hr
Under the direction of the Transit Director, the Dispatcher has a
major responsibility for the coordination and implementation of GTS
bus schedules. The position ensures that there are adequate
vehicles and operators available for and the scheduling of the
transportation of GTS customers. The position also handles incoming
calls, answers questions and records actions, responds to emergency
telephone requests as appropriate, referring to supervisor if
needed, operates Push-To-Talk phone equipment, and maintains
computerized records and files related to the GTS program. The
position of Dispatcher is a safety-sensitive position.
Dispatcher is required to work designated hours with potential
overtime, including evening, weekends, and odd hours in an office
environment with some field work. This position handles highly
sensitive and/or confidential information and will represent GTS in
a variety of capacities. This position is contingent upon grant
funding. The hours of the position will be 10:00 am to 6:00 pm or
7:00 pm Monday through Friday.
*ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: *
1. Develops and implements daily routing and dispatch systems of
2. Coordinates closely with the Director the planning and
scheduling of daily GTS routes and the assignment or reassignment
of drivers and equipment, as necessary.
3. Received calls from customers requesting door-to-door and
curb-to-curb service and schedules trips accordingly.
4. Coordinates, oversees, and dispatches Bus Operators, which
requires the ability to give directions to them; communicates with
Bus Operators on their routes as necessary in a clear, concise
5. Consistently assess transit routes to ensure integrity of
6. Communicates correctly, all appropriate policy information to
customers and those inquiring about
7. Assists with the rider registration process if needed.
8. Enters new clients into and regularly updates the Rider
Database, as needed.
9. Writes and sends out no show, late cancellation, and suspension
10. Keeps both manual and computerized records (time sheets,
mileage, equipment use, etc.) for the purpose of the efficient
operation of the department.
11. Maintains a variety of reports, records, and files related to
GTS, including Rides Denied lists, No Show lists, and others as
12. Assists management with the completion or creation of reports
for a variety of GTS needs.
13. Supports Bus Operators as necessary, (i.e. may have to fill in
on occasion for sick time/vacation).
14. Maintains familiarity with GTS policies and procedures and
review at least annually.
15. Monitors and arranges bus maintenance.
16. Other duties as assigned.
*KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED: *
* Roads, streets, development, and neighborhoods in the GTS service
* Methods, materials, and equipment used to provide for an
effective transportation program.
* Laws and regulations governing the transportation of
* Office, scheduling, and computerized practices.
* Record keeping procedures.
* Customer service practices and procedures.
* Rules, regulations, practices, and procedures affecting transit
* Public transit practices and procedures.
* Oral and written communication skills, including the ability to
relay information clearly and accurately to the appropriate
* Computer software and internet - Especially Microsoft Office
(Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook), transportation scheduling
software, mapping software, and other internet search options.
* Excellent customer service and people skills.
* Attention to detail - must be extremely detail oriented.
* Must demonstrate and exercise responsible decision making
* Focus and multi-task competently, as this position requires
attention of several tasks going on at the same time.
* Communicate orally in the English language with individuals in a
face-to-face, one-on-one, or group setting, or by telephone.
* Produce documents written in the English language with clearly
organized thoughts using proper sentence construction, punctuation,
* Work cooperatively with other GTS employees, municipal and
non-profit figures, and members of the public.
* Be reliable, patient, cooperative, and work well under
* Work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or
* Work well independently.
*MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: *
1. High School diploma or GED.
2. Must possess a valid Illinois Driver's License.
3. Ability to speak Spanish is strongly desired.
4. Minimum two years previous work experience in a comparable
organization performing related responsibilities and tasks, with
increasing levels of responsibility.
5. Supervisory background is a plus.
*PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: *
The duties of this position require frequent sitting, standing,
bending, reaching, and excellent hand/eye/foot coordination
required for driving a motor vehicle for extended periods of time.
May require lifting or moving objects up to 30 lbs. Requires manual
dexterity sufficient to operate standard office machines such as
computers, fax machines, calculators, the telephone and other
office equipment. Talking, hearing, and seeing essential to
performing required job functions. Specific vision abilities
required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision,
depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
*WORKING CONDITIONS WHILE PERFORMING ESSENTIAL DUTIES: *
The working environment is mostly office with possible occasional
field work. While performing the office duties of this job, the
employee works in a temperature controlled, non-smoking
environment. Field work may require exposure to inclement weather
conditions. The employee is required to make occasional trips
off-site by motor vehicle, at times for extended periods. The noise
level varies but is generally moderate to loud.
Some local, county, or state travel may be required.
*EQUIPMENT USED: *
General office equipment will be used including personal computers,
printers, scanners, copiers, phones, faxes, and software. In
addition, frequently operates Push-To-Talk phones, and may be
required as needed to operate a variety of vehicles including 14
passenger buses and 12 passenger buses and mobility lifts.
_*No Phone Calls Please.*_
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $20.00 per hour
* Dental insurance
* Employee assistance program
* Health insurance
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Retirement plan
* Vision insurance
* Monday to Friday
* Driver's License (Required)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: Grundy County, Joliet , DISPATCHER - GRUNDY COUNTY TRANSIT SYSTEM, Other , Morris, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!