Registered Nurse - Med Surg
Company: Wexford Health Sources Inc
Posted on: January 22, 2023
Registered NursePOSITION: Registered Nurse
SCHEDULE: 6p-6a / 2p-10p (E3W)
FACILITY: Joliet Treatment Center
LOCATION: Joliet, Illinois
Starting at $44.00/hr.
Wexford Health is proud to offer a competitive benefits package
* Annual increase
* 40 total paid days off per year
* 401(k) plan with 50% match
* Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
* and more!!
Under the direct supervision of the designated Wexford Health
manager and clinical supervision from the Director of Nursing and
the site Medical Director, responsible for delivery of patient care
through the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation
and evaluation. Also directs and guides patient teaching activities
and ancillary personnel, while maintaining standards of
The Registered Nurse shall provide a broad range of services to the
center including screening, assessment, medication delivery,
treatment plans and patient education.
* Assesses plans and delivers nursing care to inmates.
* Provides leadership to LPNs, CNAs and other nursing
paraprofessionals in patient care.
* Coordinates multiple medical services for diagnostic and
treatment as directed by the Medical Director, Physician, Physician
Assistant or Nurse Practitioner.
* Enter housing units to pass medications or other medical items
and to conduct medical screening when necessary.
* Assist in minor medical or surgical procedures.
* Assist in screening of emergencies for necessity and priority for
referral to physician or mid- level providers and conduct daily
sick call screening
* Check and change dressings as required or as ordered.
* Maintain working knowledge of pharmacology including drug
* Maintain working knowledge of therapeutic diets and nutrition and
implement as per orders.
* Maintain working knowledge of social and behavioral sciences,
particularly as applied to the Correctional setting.
* Be capable of giving CPR instructions and ability to take charge
in a CPR emergency.
* Maintain the Problem Oriented Medical Record (POMR).
* Administer medications including IV therapy and IM injections and
all other approved routes of administration per the order of the
physicians/mid level providers.
* Recommend improved procedures, equipment and supplies to the
* Notify supervisor and complete written reports for any medical or
* Present/participate in in-service education sessions.
* Respond to inmate, staff or visitor medical emergencies and
provide appropriate first aid or triage.
* Assesses physical, psychological and psychosocial dimensions of
patients within the Health Care Unit and, as necessary, in the
* Applies knowledge of illnesses, injuries and diseases using
available resources in obtaining a health history, and in the
* Provides a written assessment of patient on admission, during
confinement and on discharge as requested.
* Summarizes assessment data, and makes a triage decision which is
documented and communicated to other patient care providers.
* Plans an individual treatment program.
* Utilizes available treatment protocols as written by the Medical
* Utilizes referral process to appropriate health care providers as
* Applies knowledge and utilizes available resources in planning
care and patient teaching.
* Consults as necessary with other nurses, physician assistants,
physicians, correctional officers, etc.
* Implements an Individual Treatment Program in the Health Care
Unit and, as necessary, in the housing units.
* Implements clinical and technical aspects of care in accordance
with established policies and procedures.
* Intervenes with proper techniques, procedures and safety
precautions utilizing aseptic technique and infection control to
meet individual needs of patients.
* Implements medical plan through administering medications in
accordance with physician's orders.
* Intervenes by obtaining body fluid specimens and performing EKG's
using proper techniques and procedures.
* Communicates information to ancillary departments using
established referral process.
* Implements treatment plans as ordered by the physician.
* Intervenes with proper techniques, procedures and available
* Documents' nursing encounters utilizing the Problem Oriented
Medical Records format of charting as required by the facility.
* Communicates information to other nursing staff, Health Care
Unity physicians, physician assistants, Health Care Unit
supervisory personnel, and DOC correctional officers and
* Assesses personal and learning development needs.
* Plans and implements program to meet identified needs through
in-service attendance and other format and informal means.
* Demonstrates knowledge of, and performs nursing policies and
* Supports philosophy, objectives and goals of nursing
* Accepts staffing assignments, and performs other related duties
as required or assigned by the designated immediate supervisor.
Performs within the normal limits of the State Nurse Practice Act,
Code of Ethics for Nurses, policies and procedures and facility
policy/procedures and standards.
* Promotes quality assurance standards by participating in the
quality of chart audits.
* Develops and maintains professional relationships with patients,
visitors, and medical and correctional personnel. Promotes good
working relationships among staff and between other disciplines and
* Supervises and strives for excellence in patient care by
challenging and, as necessary, correcting errors of peers to ensure
the safety and well-being of the patient.
* Identifies existing and potential problems, and takes effective
* Assumes individual accountability for own conduct and maintenance
of professional appearance.
* Maintains the confidentiality of inmate records.
* Approaches change in a positive manner.
* Makes suggestions for improving work conditions to the Medical
* Accepts constructive criticism in stressful situations.
* Assists in the orientation of new employees.
* Upon receiving the necessary training and/or instruction, perform
other duties as required or assigned.
* Conforms to Wexford Health Sources, Inc., and facility
regulations as appropriate, to include, but not be limited to:
* Dress code
* Schedule/time sheet/time clock
* Safety and security regulations
* Procedure for sick leave/vacation time/education seminars
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll
purposes only; employees may be assigned other duties as
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes
daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care
personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving
throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without
The following requirements list the minimum to qualify. An
equivalent combination of education and experience may be
TRAVEL: Minimal travel required.
LICENSING: Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification
EDUCATION: Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: One (1) year clinical experience
Keywords: Wexford Health Sources Inc, Joliet , Registered Nurse - Med Surg, Healthcare , Joliet, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!