Company: NRG Energy
Posted on: January 27, 2023
As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and
proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is
dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer
variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees
is critical to our ongoing success--take charge of your career
goals and empower your future!
Job Purpose:Provide support for process improvements, performance
monitoring, root cause analysis, engineering and construction
activities, and operating and maintenance functions to ensure safe
and efficient plant operation.Essential Functions:
- Provide direction to operations and maintenance departments to
insure that plant equipment remains reliable. This includes both
technical and financial decisions which impact the overall unit
availability and cost control.
- Knowledge of material selection and corrosion process
- Provide technical support, testing and inspection expertise
within their assigned process areas to ensure safe, reliable, and
efficient plant operation.
- Optimize station equipment operation to meet key performance
- Develop O&M and Capital budgets for the process equipment.
Assemble ten year plans and budgets for projects to establish
accurate projected cash flows out into the future.
- Develop strategic plans for equipment overhauls to optimize
equipment life and time between overhauls.
- Develop outage schedules, coordinate and perform outage
inspections for all process equipment.
- Utilize predictive and preventative maintenance (PM/PDM)
techniques to monitor and improve equipment. Evaluate and analyze
process variables to identify status and trending of key operating
- Conduct root cause analysis of equipment problems and provide
recommendations to prevent future incidents. Assemble all equipment
- Develop, review & revise station procedures & technical
instructions and documentation of equipment testing and
- Provide engineering, design, economic justification, and
specify parts and materials for projects and modifications.
Implement projects and process modifications.
- Conduct or procure training as required within their
- Interface with outside engineering resources on an "as-needed"
- Work effectively in a team environment as a leader, member
- Perform other duties and assignments as required.QUALIFICATION
GUIDELINESAny combination equivalent to, but not limited to, the
following:Required:Chemical Engineering or Technical Degree with a
minimum of five years of power plant chemistry experience of
similar industrial experience. Extensive work related experience
may be substituted for Engineering or technical
- Thorough understanding of Power Plant processes and equipment
and the interrelationships between them.
- Overall understanding of Power Plant operations and maintenance
- Thorough knowledge of operation, maintenance and control of
plant systems and equipment specific to the process area of the
position. (e.g. Boilers and related auxiliary equipment,
Turbine-Generators and related auxiliary equipment, Balance of
Plant systems and equipment, Fuel Handling Systems and equipment,
Electrical systems and equipment, Instrument & Controls systems,
Plant Chemistry control and Water Treatment systems)
- Ability to effectively supervise, train and direct others
(peers, employees, contractors/vendors) in an understandable, clear
and consistent manner
- Ability to read and understand technical information, prints
and engineering data, interpret charts, graphs, and gauge scales.
Ability to troubleshoot and repair equipment and systems.
- Risk management - able to make good judgment on utilization of
sometimes limited resources.
- General to thorough knowledge in root cause analysis and
proficient in technical report writing.
- Proficient in the use of PC, and Windows & Microsoft Office
applications with particular emphasis on spreadsheet, scheduling,
equipment performance and word processing programs.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.Physical
- This position is a combination of work in office and industrial
- Must be able to wear required personal protection equipment
(PPE) such as hard hats, safety glasses, goggles, face shields,
hearing protection, respirators, fall protection harnesses, and
other PPE as required.
- Duties require extensive manual dexterity in usage of computer
terminal and keyboard, while sitting for long periods of time
preparing budgets, work scopes, outage schedules, and other reports
- May be required to perform equipment inspections by climbing
vertical ladders in excess of 20 feet and stairways in excess of 50
feet, using step stool, kneeling, bending, walking over uneven
surfaces such as loose rock, open grating, up and down
- May also be required to operate mobile equipment such as zoom
booms or scissor lifts to reach heights to inspect equipment, which
includes pushing or pulling equipment into place, climbing into a
basket, and riding in the basket while the equipment is
- The compartments where certain equipment may be located may
exceed temperatures of 130F.
- May be required to prepare and conduct training, including
mentoring individuals one-on-one. In conducting training, the
specialist may be required to carry training materials, and to
stand for extended periods of time.
- This position may require some domestic travel.Please
Note:Management reserves the right to change, rescind, add, or
delete the duties and responsibilities of positions within the job
classification at any time.Salary offered will be commensurate with
the successful candidate's education and/or experience and
consistent with the job location's market pay rate. NRG Energy is
committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent
permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining
agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing,
and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol
testing. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Level, Title and/or Salary may
be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills. Official
description on file with Talent.
Keywords: NRG Energy, Joliet , Engineer, Engineering , Joliet, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!